Episode #5 Support Systems
Stayin’ alive in Episode 5.
- Sorry I was so tired. Too many late nights.
- Proactively build your support system.
- Not everyone will be uber supportive.
- Some of your friends might distance themselves.
- Your family might think you are weird.
- Some friends will step up and really support you.
- Ours (shout out to Jed and Suzanne) really stepped up!
- They became respite caregivers to help give us a break.
- Your caseworker should be supportive in this.
- They don’t want you to get burned out.
- Take Breaks!!
- Don’t let yourself be burned out.
- Church is a great part of a support system.
- Regular positive activities.
- Good Friends.
- Boy Scouts.
- Kids will learn awesome skills.
- Make great friends.
- Clubs, after school programs.
- Great support with positive adults.
- People who will check on them, care about them, and make them feel special.
- Identify your strong points in your support system and let them help you.
- Ignore the naysayers.
- Be clear with your expectations for your family.
- Make sure that people know that your foster kids are part of your family.
- Call to Action!
- Identify the strongest part of your support system and build on that.
Thanks so much for listening.
If you liked anything we had to say, share this with your friends and go to iTunes and leave us a 5 Star review. This will help us reach and help other Foster Parents like us. Until next time!
Ben & Deb Pugh
The Foster Parents