Episode #2 Building Positive Relationships Part 2
- Benefits of building relationships
- Foster kids need someone to show them that they care.
- Youth are more willing to listen to you and work with you.
- Relationships make it so you can teach life skills to your foster kids.
- Role model the skill of building positive relationships.
- Remember that you are always being watched.
- You need to build your positive relationships with respect.
- You are responsible to listen.
- You are responsible to teach.
- Establish what you want your relationship to be.
- Don’t fall into the trap of trying to be the cool foster parents.
- Set boundaries and clear expectations.
- What are everyone’s roles?
- dad, mom, kids, and so on.
- Regularly gage your relationship with your youth.
- Do you need to spend more quality time together?
- What are some interests that you share that you could engage in together?
- Recommended book : 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen R. Covey
- Make positive deposits
- Call to Action – Proactively find something that you can do to improve the relationship with your foster youth!
- FREE Download of 6 Free Ice Breakers for New Kids in Your Home
Thanks so much for listening.
If you liked anything we had to say, share this with your friends and go to iTunes and leave us a 5 Star review. This will help us reach and help other Foster Parents like us. Until next time…
Ben & Deb Pugh
The Foster Parents