Episode #8 – Putting Your Marriage First
In this episode we talk about how couples can protect themselves against the stresses that come from foster parenting. Here are 3 things we do.
- Being on the Same Page – If you don’t agree with your spouse on how you are going to discipline or what different behaviors are okay, or not okay with you, then you are very likely to find yourselves fighting and arguing about how things are done in your home.
- Spending Time Together – We always take time to rejuvenate. These kids need us to be at our best so that we can help them, if we are burned out, that is not likely going to be as productive. Some of the things that we do to rejuvenate are:
- Find times to go on dates when are kids are already occupied, like when they are all at school, or if they have a visit, or something like that.
- Take a day or weekend off and just spend that time together. Do things that you enjoy and relax from the stresses of your normal day life.
- Get respite for just a small portion of the day so that you can go on a date if you can’t go on a date when your kids are busy with other things.
- Have Open and Honest Communication –
- Always be willing to help your spouse improve, but do it with love, and accept it with love.
- Sometimes you won’t agree with the way that your spouse is handling a situation, you need to be supportive in the moment and discuss it away from the children later.
- Ultimately you always want to make sure you have each other’s back.
Call to Action – Sit down with your spouse and figure out what your same page is. Discuss some situations and understand each other’s point of view so that you will be able to handle situations as a team!
Thanks so much for listening.
If you liked anything we had to say, share this with your friends and go to iTunes and leave us a 5 Star review, and Subscribe. This will help us reach and help other Foster Parents like us. Until next time!
Ben & Deb Pugh
The Foster Parents