Episode #011 – Why We Do Foster Care
In this episode we discuss some of the reasons that we got into foster care. We also talk about why we have started podcasting.
Why We Became Foster Parents
- We both had a desire to work with teens.
- Ben coached high school football.
- Deb worked at a residential treatment facility.
- As we worked with these groups, we found that we really enjoyed it. We were motivated to help the kids that others had given up on.
- We were familiar with foster care because my parents had been doing foster care for for a few years. They have, up to this point, adopted 4 kids through foster care.
- During the housing market crash, Ben was out of work as a custom home builder and we needed some additional income. This additional income has been a blessing for our family.
- Foster parenting has made it so that Deb can be a stay at home mom.
- We have been able to take our family (foster kids included) on nice vacations to places like Disneyland and Silver Dollar City.
Why We are Podcasting
- We want others to have support as foster parents.
- We understand that being a foster parent is like being on an island.
- We want to give foster parents a voice.
- We look forward to working with other foster parents and people who work in the system.
Thanks so much for listening.
If you liked anything we had to say, share this with your friends and go to iTunes and leave us a 5 Star review, and Subscribe. This will help us reach and help other Foster Parents like us. Please leave us a comment and let us know why you do foster care.
Until next time!
Ben & Deb Pugh
The Foster Parents