Episode 29- 4 Tips for Holiday Survival:
Holidays can be stressful times. Here are 4 tips that we use in our home to help us and our foster youth relax a little more during the holidays.
- Focus on things the kids liked to do, how they celebrated when they were at home.
- Have them make a list of things they like to do.
- You can let them know that you will not be able to do all of these things, but that they can help pick their favorite things to do.What kinds of foods they ate and like to eat during the holiday? Did they do anything special?
- Have them list traditions they did at home.
- Another thing that we do is to let them know some of the things that we do as a family
- After we both are able to talk about what we usually do for the holidays, we combine our ideas and decide what we can do that will allow everyone to celebrate the way they are used to.
- Have a specific plan. There are so many things that are going on that it can seem overwhelming. Thanksgiving, Family, work, community Christmas parties, etc. You don’t have to let it become so busy. Sit down and decide what things you want to do and plan them in. You can fill in random other things where you want to after that.
Thanks so much for listening. Stay tuned next week…
If you liked anything we had to say, share this with your friends and go to iTunes and leave us a 5 Star review and Subscribe. This will help us reach and help other Foster Parents.
How do you guys prepare for the holiday season? Let us know not only how you survive, but also how you enjoy the holidays together as a family!
Until next time!
Ben & Deb Pugh
The Foster Parents