Episode #42- The One Thing You Should Start Doing in Your Home Today!
This is something that we have done in our home for quite awhile. It is called Compliment Time! This is something that we feel has made one of the biggest differences in our home.
What is compliment time?
- We meet together every day and this is sometimes in our kitchen around the dinner table, and sometimes in the car when things are crazy, but we try and do it everyday.
- You can either choose to Get a Compliment from someone of your choice,
- Of You can choose to Give a Compliment to someone you choose.
Benefits of doing compliment time:
- Compliment time benefits you – It helps you really start to focus more on the positives that are going on throughout the day. You wouldn’t want to be called on to give a compliment and have to sit and think about it for a long time. This also helps you when you are working on having a really good ratio between positive and ne
- Compliment time benefits your foster kids – They have to start thinking about positives throughout the day as well. They get to develop the skills of Giving Compliments to others, as well as, Accepting Compliments from others. This can really give them a lot of practice at this skill and it will help them in the future.
- Compliment helps your own kids – Your own kids will be able to learn these same skills and realize it is important to think of others, as well as themselves.
Sometimes when we notice that someone in the home is having a particularly hard day, we gang up on them. This is something we try and do without them knowing (Although they will probably figure it out by the end of Compliment Time). In the case, we all take our turn by Giving that person a Compliment.
We usually start with the youngest and work our way up, but we mix it up every once in a while. We ask if they want to get a compliment or give a compliment. After they give or get their compliment, they say something they are grateful for. When we have new foster kids in our home we always let them go last so they can see what it looks like.
Funny video of a compliment time we did as a family when our 6 year old was only 2.
Call to Action:
Take a week and try doing compliment time with your family. See how it helps and let us know if you have seen any improvement.
Thanks so much for listening. Stay tuned next week to hear more…
If you liked anything we had to say, share this with your friends and go to iTunes and leave us a 5 Star review and Subscribe. This will help us reach and help other Foster Parents.
Until next time!
Ben & Deb Pugh
The Foster Parents